market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tillage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: bob AT akasha.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tillage
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:18:59 -0500

Not a good idea. I was talking about adding finished compost to the surface.

Woody materials require fungi to break it down. Compaction and plowing kill
these and it's a long process, anyway. Better to plant a type of grass and
plow
in for increase in soil organic matter.

There has been some experiments with plowing in shredded woody materials, but
this takes time, too.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm