market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] tillage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] tillage
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 20:18:41 -0500

Achieving 5-6% OM is easier said than done, one of the disadvantages of
living on the humid coastal plain is OM evaporates leaving a constant OM of
1/2-2%,no matter how much you try to add. Some of our best vegetable farming
is done on 1/2%OM ground.

<bob AT akasha.net> wrote:

>"Soil organic matter should be around 5-6%- higher in the extremes of sand
>and clay.  Tillage adds oxygen rich atmospheric air to the soil and you
>get a population explosion of aerobic soil life that feed on soil OM.
>This results in a reduction of OM."Alex McGregor

Plow under all that stuff in an uncomposted or shredded state in the spring
of 2003 means plowing it back up again in 2004...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.