market-farming - [Market-farming] farm "decorating"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] farm "decorating"
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:30:46 -0500

Our fields aren't quite ready for planting, so I reluctantly decided to take
the time and redo the decrepit entrance to our farm--putting up a new
mailbox (that stands straight ; )) complete with white rustic picket fence,
rock wall border, a driveway garden with old farm implements, flowers, etc,
etc. I felt almost silly since "decorating" isn't technically farming ; )).
I had to keep reminding myself I wasn't wasting time (why do tractor or
livestock chores feel so much more productive??). But the farm is over 100
years old and in quite a state of disrepair though it must have been
gorgeous in it's hey-day...I'm uncovering old old flowers, barely thriving
amongst the weeds.

The surprise has come from all the excitement the work has generated in the
community! The farm is well-known, seems everyone and his brother had a
relative who grew up here, or played in the barns or swam in the creek, so
they've become curious as to what is going on here. The comments have
opened the way for me to introduce the farm and people are already looking
forward to having our stand open for business!! Just a thought for those of
you just getting started....may not be able to plant to sell this year, but
you can start prepping your customers!

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

  • [Market-farming] farm "decorating", Liz Pike, 04/03/2003