market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Spanish

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Spanish
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:56:18 -0800

>From my experience, most Mexicans (I( can't speak for any other Hispanics)
are very proper, no matter how friendly. I have one woman I LOVE and is such
a great help and I know she likes me too but we still use the formal "Usted"
form. It's out of respect for her. I think most Americans think being pals
is the best thing but my hunch is she and her friends feel people can be
close and still show the highest repsect.
Of course they understand that gringos struggle with the language and even
using the "tu" form is a victory! And liberally using por favor, gracias and
de nada go a LONG way!
Steve
www.ranchogordo.com