market-farming - [Market-farming] Flea beetles and sticky traps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Flea beetles and sticky traps
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:22:39 -0600

Lucy and others have posted about using plastic bottles coated with Tanglefoot. It may be that the warmth of these water-filled bottles attracts the flea beetles but I also know that flea beetles are attracted to things that are white. I used white plastic bottles coated with Tanglefoot back in my home gardening days. As Amy suggested, at a farm scale it probably makes sense to buy ready-made sticky traps. I would recommend white over yellow, however.

-John

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1450 Linden Drive; Madison, WI 53706
608-265-3704
www.wisc.edu/cias