market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flea beetles and sticky traps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flea beetles and sticky traps
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:18:35 -0500

I've read where a grower said that white was the color that attracts flea
beetles. (I sent a query to ATTRA asking about color attraction for specific
pests and was told by their researcher that no such attraction exists,
probably meaning that no scientific research had been done at the time.)

This grower used scraps from packing matl. and styrofoam insulation board on
a short stake, covered with sticky trap. I haven't tried this as changing
varieties solved the problem without all the extra work.

By the way, it's no breeze convincing customers that a weird looking eggplant
tastes the same. It takes lots of education and some easy recipes.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm