market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Bumps on the hoophouse learning curve

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Bumps on the hoophouse learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:13:59 -0600

We believe the production problems with winter 2002-2003 are due mostly to
the lack of sunshine. We had 6 days of sun mid-October through December,
and very few from then until last week. We can support this theory with the
fact that the lettuce transplants in our HEATED greenhouse, which stays
above 45 at night, also did not grow. We had transplants in the flat that
looked like 3 week transplants at 8 weeks - not even large enough to
transplant. If our first winter growing season had been like this past one,
we probably would not have expanded the way we have. Hopefully, the kind of
non-sun winter we just had will only happen once a decade or so, and we can
think of it as "vacation"!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm