market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hot arugula

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT access4less.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hot arugula
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 05:34:49 -0600

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 09:59:20PM -0600, Adriana wrote:
> Sure Jay... the market's all yours, you can have it. Mature arugula
> is also more fibrous, less tender, bigger leaved and much lower
> yielding and very prone to bugs. You would have to get a huge premium
> to justify the limited market. Go for it!
> > Would that not make a marketing
> > opportunity for "Hot Arugula" ???

Last year was my first arugula year. Late in the season I had been
picking off and discarding the flower buds trying to stave off the
end. At markets, I had customers suggesting that I pick and sell
the flower buds. Which I did. However, that "mature" arugula seems
to sell well only in a short supply situation. I do find that it is
easy to pick only tender portions even on bolting plants; I don't
believe my late arugula is any more fibrous than my early.

"Man pleasing", "not for the faint of heart". I love it!

The past week or so, we have been un-seasonably warm here. Highs in
the mid 80s. Spinach ruining weather. Peaches, pears, blackberries
are blooming. Potatoes coming up again. Some tomatoes are out.
Planted green beans yesterday, corn a few days ago. Squash today.
Asparagus is producing well. Arugula, bok choy, and mustard is
bolting. We had our first decent farmers market of the season
yesterday, primarily due to asparagus.

--
Willie Time for a Kurdish state?
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html