market-farming - [Market-farming] Coleman Xtreme Cooler

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Coleman Xtreme Cooler
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:31:33 -0600

We have had our eye on the Coleman Xtreme cooler that has been on sale at
WalMart for a while now. This morning we decided to buy a couple of them and
we will be testing them this spring at the farmer's market to compare to
"regular" coolers.

They make some very strong claims of maintaining freezing temps for 5 days
in 80 F degree weather. The copyright on the insert is 2001, so perhaps they
were sold last summer. The are made in the U.S.A. and the price is sure
right.

Has anyone tried them and if so, what has been your experiences?

There are a few things about the cooler that make it less insulated than
would be optimum in that it has a drain plug and it has four "holders" on
the top to put beverage containers. There is nearly no insulation in those
places. I wonder if inserting foam might be helpful. Or even using that
"sytrofoam in a can" stuff to fill in those areas.

Because of the extra thick insulation, we can not use them with our current
10x10x10" standard boxed beef packages, but we will be putting individual
packages in anyway for the farmer's market sales.

Comments? Other recommendations for "super" coolers?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce