market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] NY Times Editorial: Staying Organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] NY Times Editorial: Staying Organic
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:43:37 -0600

NY Times Editorial
Staying Organic

This was a pretty good article until they got to the end and wrote:

"Congress should look for ways to stimulate organic grain
production rather than encouraging livestock producers to cop out, thereby
confusing consumers and undoing the years of work it took to create the
U.S.D.A.'s organic standards."

The very LAST thing we want is for the government to get involved in
stimulating organic grain production. As it is, they guarantee that marginal
farmers hang on by a thread with the current subsidy program for grain
production in the U.S. Which also guarantees a low income for all of those
farmers.

I do admit that it benefits some farmers, such as large scale dairy
operations and other AFO, since they can buy feed for a lower price than
would be possible without the subsidies.

But do we really want to do that? This is something that is discussed on
grazing lists and other livestock farm lists in our area since we are a
stone's throw from some of the world's largest corn and soybean production
and this does give us an "unfair advantage" as Allan Nation would say:)

Sincerely,

Rick Williams