market-farming - [Market-farming] OT: The Stars

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] OT: The Stars
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:54:22 -0600

Tom at Limerock wrote:

> Rick -- What is 'The Sky'? Is this a site you can tell us about?
> Thanks. -- Tom

This is probably one of the most common computer programs available and a
"lower end version" is often included with the purchase of a telescope. Ours
is "Level 1." If you check out the various sites such as www.celestron.com
or www.meade.com or for Orion optics, try www.telescope.com and you will
see similar software.

I have not tried freeware software (since the days of the Apple //e with its
crude green screen sky software:), but there are tons of sites on the net:

http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/software.html

http://www.cvc.org/astronomy/freeware.htm

After all these years we finally did get a used 90 mm Celestron. This is not
the best choice of scope perhaps as it uses non-standard smaller diameter
eyepiece mounts, but it is very compact since it is a Maksutov-Cassegrain
and was locally available. I also use it for casual ultra telephoto work.
The optics are not of high enough quality to use it for my serious nature
photography, etc, but it can be used to get a giant setting sun type shot.

The setup for scopes when doing night sky work using the equatorial mount is
tremendously more difficult than I ever imagined. But the new technology
scopes, such as the Nexstar's and similar are supposed to be pretty neat
since you operate then like alt-azimuth mount and the computer in the scope
can lock in on some target stars and set up the declination and right
ascension for you ... automagically. However, this magic comes at a price:)

Today's telescopes are greatly improved and the prices are surprisingly low
for what you get.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce
(also dairy heifers and beef stockers)
Viroqua, WI

  • [Market-farming] OT: The Stars, Rick Williams, 02/25/2003