market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks & Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks & Germination
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:48:17 -0500

Title: Message
The plywood will transfer heat but will take a little more time to get going. Eventually the plywood will warp and delaminate due to the heat and moisture so you should be looking for an alternative.
Are you providing light in your basement?
One advantage of blocks is that, if they have been made with enough moisture, the seed need not be covered by mix. Round seed, like brassicas, will roll out of the divot if carelessly watered so you might want to cover those with mix. When we used blocks we had trays which had mesh bottoms that fit 4 shots of 12[2"x2"] blocks; we would cover the tray with a broken or spare tray until the radical emerged [ you can see because the seed is not covered with mix ]. Watering was not necessary until the top tray came off and then only with a fine spray until the seed was rooted.
Make sure they have enough light right from the beginning.
Good luck.
David A.Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.