market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks & Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Soil Blocks & Germination
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:02:58 -0500

Title: Message
-----Original Message-----
From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Marie Kamphefner
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 4:30 PM
To: 'Market Farming'

Hi David, You said “When we used blocks” so I am assuming that you no longer use them.  What do you use to start seed nowadays – what containers and what medium?  I am trying to decide what to get this year and I need to hurry and do it.  I didn’t get my stuff mixed up last fall – usually use my own compost, peat moss and vermiculite – so I’ve got to buy something.

Marie in Missouri

Hi Marie,

What follows is a cut and paste from a previous post of mine that explains why I don't use blocks any longer and what I use now.[  http://www.winstrip.com ] The Winstrips are long lasting, durable and more expensive than cells or Speedlings [speedling may be more expensive, I haven't checked in a while. The winstrips are +/- $3 each delivered if memory serves me right.]. Like blocks they 'air prune' and therefore the roots don't circle and therefore they get off to a quick start. The greenhouse I am planning has a heated concrete floor at one end. The winstrip flats will rest on angle irons to create a space under them for warmth to circulate and the aforementioned 'root pruning'. Come June the same space will serve as my C.S.A. distribution room.

David

I no longer use blocks, even though they produce nice transplants if you understand how they work. Like a horse, the cost of blocks is not in the up front expense [initial purchase ] but in the recurring costs. i.e.

they require much more mix.

They require much more greenhouse space, and therefore heat. They require skill to make.

They require much more time to make.

They require concrete flooring or flats that cost as much as rigid cell flats do. You can not get as many 'starts' on the transplanter at any one time. etc

I say all this after many happy years of using them successfully. I now use 'Winstrip' rigid flats.The farm that uses blocks on the largest scale, that I know of, is Angelic Organics out in Illinois.