market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Green Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Green Beans
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:06:52 -0500

We tried a bean called strike for the first time last year and found it
to be a gorgeous warm weather bean. we also grow lots of provider and
some top crop.

for mex bean beetle control we row cover all season and have no bean
beetle damage in years. We do get the european bean beetles (the things
that look like a cuke beetle but are red or grey and stripped not
spotted) but as long as there are zero holes in the covers they are not
much of a problem.

i did lose a planting of the strike last season. I went out one morning
to see if there strike were ready , they were and so i planned to pick
them in a few hours after doing a few other chores. when i cam back i
noticed that where there was a hole in the cover the leaves had all been
stripped and the beans were gone. pulled up the cover and the bugs had
decimated 2/3 of the bed of what had been beautiful beans just 2 hours
before. made me want to cry.

Anyone doing dried beans? we usually do black beans and 2 other kinds
like anasazi or calypso. These are amazingly easy as long as they are
kept weeded.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
Boulder Belt Organics
Looking for local food? Check out
http://www.localharvest.org
We have, I fear, confused power with greatness
Stewart I. Udall