market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Chicken plucker!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT akasha.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Chicken plucker!
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:05:13 -0600

50 chickens you can do without any kind of chicken picker other than the 10
finger kind. To do this first kill the chicken. Kill by chopping off the
head or slitting the throat with a razor sharp knife. Let them bleed while
hanging from feet. I use a short bungee chord but you can buy a fancy cone
that you stick them in head first and when they raise a ruckus and start
flapping and slinging blood everywhere it will be not as noticeable as the
cone holds their wings down. Pour a 5-10 gallon pot full of hot water. Out
of the tap is hot enough usually - 165 degrees . I put a tsp. Of TSP or
trisoduimphosphate in the water and throw in a 1/4 cup of wax. Dip the
chicken in sloshing up and down till it is easy to pull a feather around 30
seconds. Hang back up by feet and with both hand take as many feathers out
at a time as you can starting at the tail. The wax helps keep them clomped
together. Pick all you can and burn the little hairs off with a propane
torch.
Happy pickin
Bob
Would you please share your chicken plucker with us?
We are just starting out on a little 20 acre farm and
want to do our own chickens this year with another
family. We are planning on about 50 chickens to begin
with... How do you make a chicken plucker or where can
you buy one that isnt too expensive... Thanks for
helping us new timers...Learning everyday!!!

=====
Jackie
St. Joseph the Worker Farm
Northwestern Pa.