market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Chicken plucker!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Lilligren" <dave AT lilligren.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Chicken plucker!
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:37:36 -0600

Jackie:

Our neighbor, who is a welder, had made a plucker that had rubber fingers
coming out of a metal drum on a stand that was turned by an electric motor.
He had graciously lent it to us these past two years. But it has the
limitation of only allowing me to pluck one bird at a time, as I have to
hold the bird as it is being plucked. For only 50 birds, this would be the
ideal plucker.

We are going to either build or buy a tub-style plucker this spring. They
can do up to four birds at a time. Since we can only currently scald two at
a time, we'll probably just pluck two at a time. The tub-style pluckers can
get spendy to buy (over $1,000), so we recently bought a book by Herrick
Kimball with plans for the "Whizbang Plucker." It is very detailed. If you
bought all the parts new, it would probably cost about $500, but we have
things around the farm already that will save us money. There is some info
and pictures at the following URL:
http://www.geocities.com/KelliAnn293/whizbang.htm

Good luck!

Dave Lilligren