market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] meat labels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] meat labels
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:31:37 -0600

All of the answers depend on the ruling and sometimes your inspector.

The rules often offer some flexibility to smaller producers. We may begin
to see a decline in this in the future also.

If a label change affects an existing label, it does not have to go back
through the approval process. That is only required if you make a major
change to a label or the claims on the label.

In my experience you would only have to deal with getting new labels
printed. If I were guessing I would say you are probably pretty safe with
the quantity you are proposing, but please talk with the inspector where you
have your meat processed and get his take on it. Also don't blind side him
with proposed rule changes. They do not pay much attention to proposed
changes, only the ones in effect.

Rick H.