market-farming - [Market-farming] Soybean Meal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "melissa pline" <plinemel AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Soybean Meal
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:36:36 +0000

Hello Everyone
I am a graduate student at North Carolina State University researching fertilizers used in organic agriculture, particularly fish emulsion and seaweed extract as foliar fertilizers. I am also looking at soybean meal as a soil fertilizer. It has a nutrient analysis of about (7-2-1). Has anyone used soybean meal on his farm? If so, what rates did you use, when did you apply, did you incorporate, with what crops? I've experienced some phytotoxicity with it - at high rates it killed my transplants and it seems to inhibit the germination of small seeded vegetables. Any experience and input on soybean meal would be appreciated! Thanks, Melissa Pline

Melissa Ann Pline
Department of Horticultural Science
North Carolina State University
plinemel AT hotmail.com