market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raised Bed Shaper Plans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Wages <jwages AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raised Bed Shaper Plans
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:22:50 -0800

Has anyone else tried using a rotary plow to make raised beds? Earth
Tools (http://www.bcssmallfarmequip.com/index.html) carries BCS tractors
and a range of attachments, including a rotary plow (~$700).

The rotary plow works pretty well on our heavy clay, but it still
requires a pass with the tiller to prepare a seed bed. To prepare a
raised bed with this method, the rotary plow makes one pass down the
right side of the bed, throwing soil to the left (to the inside of the
bed), then one pass up the left side of the bed, throwing soil to the
left (again, to the inside of the bed). After that, the bed has two
high ridges and two deep valleys on either side, and a more shallow
valley in the middle. One pass with the tiller converts it to a flat,
raised bed.

John Wages

John & Gwen Wages
Calceterra Farm