market-farming - [Market-farming] Beyond vegetarianism

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Beyond vegetarianism
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:18:48 -0600

I have recently come across a site that surprises me with some of the most
well thought out concepts of diet and health that I have ever seen. They
don't seem to have the usual agendas and baggage that you find from almost
everyone else who is promoting a product or way of life, etc.

If you have not seen this site, you may find it to be very thought
provoking.

The most striking information is that which deals with the relationships (as
many of us are well aware of on this list) of heart disease and and a badly
balanced Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio. (Note: they use the terms, n3 and n6 fatty
acids).

Here is one gem: "Hindu vegetarians from India whose diet is composed
largely of low-fat grains and pulses (legumes) maintain CHD rates equal to
[Begom et al. 1995] or higher [Miller et al. 1988] than those in the USA and
countries of Europe, despite their diets' lower total fat content when
compared to American and European diets."

The amount of material on the site is extensive and not easy reading, but
may be of more benefit than almost any other information found anywhere.
They do cite specific studies when they bring up points.

If anyone else looks at this information and is able to find holes, I would
appreciate hearing about it and many of us who are interested in and produce
healthier products are likely also interested.

Please take time to look at the Paleolithic diet area as this one may answer
some of the most vexing questions that we have had in the last 30 years or
more when it comes to explaining what works and what doesn't work and why.

http://www.beyondveg.com/

One final item that I find most interesting is that contrary to all that you
may hear from vegans that they can get B12 from plant food sources (e.g., a
type of seaweed), the truth is that this is an analogue of B12 and not only
doesn't work properly, but it can actually disrupt the metabolism of the
"real" B12. Fascinating stuff.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm