market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raised Bed Shaper Plans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raised Bed Shaper Plans
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:41:33 -0500

Ken -

I tried looking for plans last year. I wound up buying a shaper. Sad to say, after shaping about 6 beds, we didn't use it again. I didn't like how 'industrial' the beds looks and felt. I imagined that the soil would be 'loose' but raised and there w.b. nice gutters on both sides of the beds. Not the case. Also, it was all but impossible to get a bed as wide as I wanted at the top (probably my fault)

Anyway, Market Farm can sell you a tool bar, hilling disks and the 'i-beams' and heavy angle iron that you need to shape and level the soil you raise with the disk. From my experience, you definitely want an adjustable unit so that you can play with it until you get the 'width and lift' that you want.

Working with a tool bar (actually, a couple of tool bars, if I remember right) will provide you that flexibility for precision beds.

_Allan