market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Hello List

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Hello List
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:23:39 -0600

About -10 F here this morning. Had a lamp recycling date set for this
morning at 11 am at my off farm job. Semi was a few minutes late but not
bad. Had about 9 recycling customers and one had 78 boxes of fluorescents.
That is way over 2,000 tubes. Not to mention PCB containing ballasts, and
HID/Compact/UBent/Incandescents, etc. Went really slow and let the guys into
the heated garage in our building and had them park the semi right by the
building so they could run in and get warmed up and even had coffee too:)

Every year we do this around mid Jan and Jun/July. So I always claim we try
for the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter. We were right on
target for winter this year:) But at least it was not like one year when we
had a horrendous sleet storm and it downright hurt to be outside when it hit
your face.

Keeping warm here at Misty Ridge Farm mostly with wood heat but in an
emergency we can kick in the LP back-up heater in the basement or even the
electric baseboard heaters since the house was designed (and therefore
insulated) for electric heat.

Had one of those "it's a small world" experiences on the way home today.
Heard a new call on the radio and chatted with the young man for a few
minutes and it turned out he lived not far from us. about 20 miles south.
Then you find out that his fiancee was a coworker of Judy when she was
working off the farm. So invited him home to see the farm and of course the
radio "shack." Then you find out that many years ago, we even babysat her
when we lived on a farm about 50 miles north of here. It is amazing how you
can cross paths with people and it was just one of those chance things. He
said that he had just been talking to his fiancee in the last few days and
she mentioned that she wanted to get some beef from a farm near Viroqua she
knew about. Wouldn't you know, it was this farm.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce