market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Prices
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:24:56 EST

In a message dated 1/9/2003 1:44:49 PM Central Standard Time, liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com writes:

a list member concerned that the FTC would see
these discussions as "price-fixing". I understand the point, up to a point,
BUT.....

Trade magazines for the greenhouse industry routinely publish wholesale and retail prices for different regions of the country to offer a glimpse of what the industry is receiving for its' goods.  I think if they can do it then there isn't a problem here. ;-)

We sell 3 1/2" potted herbs for $2.50 ea.  We sell over 100 different kinds, both perennial and annual herbs. Our season lasts 8 to 10 weeks, depending on the weather here in WI, and we make over 10K doing just one market.  Closer to the end of our season we have a sale on what's left with a 3 for $6 promotion.
Every year we have expanded our selection and quantity of herbs for our customers, and every year it gets better.  We have many requests to provide retail at our farm, but so far I have resisted!  That's such a big commitment and I'm not ready to make it yet.  Maybe someday.......hmmmm.  What kind of life do you have with people coming to your home?  Love the discussion with this topic!

Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, WI