market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Mesclun mixes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Mesclun mixes
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:28:23 -0600

We mix our own. It's cheaper to buy the seeds in bulk amounts, and mix them
to our customers' tastes. The main thing, indeed, is to not plant greens
and lettuces together. The greens far outgrow the lettuce and shade it. We
plant the lettuce in a block, with a block of greens at the end, so when we
harvest down a row, the greens end up in the top of the bin, and when we
wash and spin, are mixed evenly. We use 4 oz of Black Seeded Simpson, 1 oz
each of Red Sails, Tango, Red Saladbowl, Freckles, Rosalita and 1/4 oz
Waldmanns. We plant the Red Russian Kale, Red and Green Mustards, Tat Soi
and Mizuna separately. We also plant Dark Lolla Rossa separately because it
grows even slower than the lettuces.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com