market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:52:41 EST

In a message dated 1/3/03 6:39:53 AM Central Standard Time, rbfarr AT erols.com writes:

I'm a little confused about the govt. regulations here.

Robert, here in Iowa Meat can be sold at farmers market if it has been slaughtered at astute or federal inspected plant, but no one is allowed to sell beef or pork without a state or Federal stamp on the meat.  No home butchered meats are allowed to be sold anywhere in the state.  Meat products can be packaged only with the operators having a processors licenses and state and county inspection.

Some states are a little more lax than others, thank goodness, but I want all the meat I buy to be inspected by a good processor, I grew up with the neighbors hanging hogs and cattle in a crib alley over night to cool out then cutting up the next few days.  Do any of you now what kind of critters live in the crib, that only come out at night.

Phil from Iowa