market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:23:29 EST

Since most of our meat sales are directly from the farm (with a few at the local farmers' market), we try to increase sales during the slower months by tying our monthly meat sales days to an "event". Once a month during Feb. and March we host a "winter party" with a bon fire, sleigh riding, skiing, skating, etc.  Invitations to the parties go out to everyone on our meat mailing list, and we have our meat for sale at the same time.  People seem to like the opportunity to shake off the cabin fever, and our sales have really increased since we started doing this.  It's also a great time for us (and current CSA members) to encourage CSA sign ups for next season!
Linda
Homestead Farms