market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:54:53 -0600

Bob,

We sell either packages as shown on our web site or even by the cut, which we prefer not to do, but have little choice at farmer's markets.

All meat sold to a third party has to be inspected and we have access to several local processors but all are state certified and not USDA. However, the regulations are the same for both but there is still no reciprocity so we can not ship outside of the state. But we have no intention of mail ordering meat as it requires special packaging and dry ice and is not what we would consider to be environmentally sustainable.

We live 14 miles from the MN and nearly to the Iowa borders with the Mississippi River between. Of course customers can buy the meat on the farm and then take it home wherever they live. We have had a buyer from as far as Chicago, but they are a rare exception. They found our site on the internet and decided to vacation in our scenic "driftless area" and looked up farms they were familiar with. We give tours to clients and if they are interested enough in a tour, they will likely buy some of the product.

We have our own logo so in a sense we use this as our label but the meat is packaged by our processor in the white paper "old fashioned" way and stamped with the farm name. We do give out many brochures that have the logo.  It does not show up on our web site however and eventually we will have to shoot a picture of our new sign we constructed with the distinctive M that we have and put that on our web site.

Rick W.