market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: BlackberryBBQ Sauce, raspberry varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ron Thiessen" <thiessenfarms AT sprint.ca>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: BlackberryBBQ Sauce, raspberry varieties
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:03:57 -0500

> BlackBerry BBQ Sauce? Now that sounds Very interesting. Are you
> willing to part with the recipe?

Here's the recipe we use;
approx. 4 1/2 cups blackberry juice (blackberries squeezed and seeded)
4 cups sugar,
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar,
2 tsp whole mustard seeds,
2 Tbsp yellow mustard,
1 tsp dry mustard,
3 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce,
2 heaping Tbsp canning salt,
1 cup blackberries,
1 large onion finely chopped,
1 large clove garlic chopped,
1/8 tsp allspice,
1 Tbsp brown sugar.

Mix all the ingredients into a slow cooker. Put on low and leave overnight.
This will keep around 2 months in the fridge, or put in jars and seal (we do
this)
Adjust the amount of blackberry juice to make the sauce thicker/thinner.
Great on grilled meats, as a marinade (if thinned), or mixed into hamburger.

> Ron - what raspberry varieties do you grow? Red? Are they compatible with
> the blackberries - seems like I'd always heard that some berries weren't
> compatible.

We grow the following raspberry varieties:
Killarney (my favourite-early, hardy, good producer, decent taste)
Nova (good size and colour-but plants tend to die off)
K81-6 (large fruit-good taste, perhaps cold sensitive?) I will plant more of
these.
Encore & Reveille-will have 1st crop in '03
Others we have tried and discarded include- Regency, Boyne, Haida,
Festival...
Purple raspberries taste good but didn't sell for us - people assumed they
were overripe red berries.
Black raspberries are always in demand but are extremely thorny and suffer
every disease imaginable (in our experience).
We tried yellow ones but did not like the looks. Taste was good though.
I purchase my plants from www.strawberrytyme.com
Also check out www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/crops/facts/berryrec.htm
We have our raspberries and blackberries planted side by side. No problems
thus far!
Hope this info is helpful,

Ron Thiessen