market-farming - [Market-farming] Fedco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fedco
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 13:16:02 -0600

Here's why I DON'T use Fedco:
- A couple of years a go I compared the prices of Johnny's and Fedco
for over a dozen salad greens I was using at the time. For most of
them Johnny's was cheaper. (In fact the price differences made me
wonder if they weren't repackaging seed from Johnny's. Rob you
needn't comment here :>))
- Johnny's runs a year-round operation, Fedco shuts down for a large
part of the year. I'm a greenhouse grower and need seed year-round
and my needs cannot be completely anticipated.
- Johnny's full color catalog is not just an indulgence, it is
necessary for decision-making. (The reason they can get away without
the color catalog is probably because companies like Johnny's do and
you can look a their photos and then buy elsewhere).
- Johnny has a decent web site, Fedco doesn't
- And Johnny's professional commercial sales staff are incomparable
and their same day delivery is excellent.
Even if Johnny's was more expensive, I would probably continue to buy
from them as these things have value to me as a customer and I
appreciate them.

> I've never had a problem with Johnny's either, and I used them for a
few
> years. I have switched to Fedco Seeds because they're less
expensive and
> their catalog, although not glossy, contains a great deal of
information on
> the source of the seed.

Adriana