market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Profitable organics

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Profitable organics
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:51:23 -0500

Contracting produce to processors has a very long and well established
history, much of the production in my area goes in part to contract
processors. Many farmers in my area contract an early crop of peas or an
overwinter crop of spinach, which the processor harvests early in the spring
with their own machine harvesters and crew, leaving the farmer free to plant
any other crop for summer harvest. Prices to farmers are good but the fruit
and vegetable processor shoulders a greater risk than livestock corperations
do. At the end of each season a farmer can freely weigh the value of a
contract and opt out at anytime

Hog and poultry contract farmers are responsable for the cost of single use
specialized buildings that usually cost $250000 a piece and are worthless
without a contract making the farmer a hostage to the meat packer...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

 I still worry about the farmer and this new

http://webmail.netscape.com/