market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Profit / Acre

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Profit / Acre
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:16:59 -0600

This is the federal exemption for USDA inspection. Some states recognize
this and allow on farm processing for end user sales. Some do not.
Kentucky, where we live says "not one". That doesn't keep some people from
doing it, but it does stop us. Fortunately, we have a man in the next
county who is putting in a USDA inspected poultry processing unit. He has
his equipment, permits and is starting a building. We're really excited
about the possibilities!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
SC Kentucky