market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Profit / Acre

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Profit / Acre
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:35:07 -0500

Actually, there are many who home process their poultry. I know of some very well known people in both Virginia and Tennessee who process their own poultry. I believe the number allowable for on-farm processing is 20,000 birds per farm. If wrong I would surely appreciate being corrected. I do process my own meats for family consumption including pork, lamb, beef, goat and other. However, my real concern with large numbers of poultry is the plucking! I HATE and will not do it, but have found no commercial processors of meat who do poultry.

Clarence W. and Lisa J. Walker
Rainbow's End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road
Stuart, Virginia 24171