market-farming - Farmers Market's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Richard & Faye" <rifa AT advertisnet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Farmers Market's
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:48:17 -0500

I have been in a discussion with our local extension agent about
establishing a farmers market in our area.

Our area is the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. For those who are unaware,
the lake is a major Midwest tourist attraction with several thousand
visitors each weekend plus a growing number of year round residents. We are
looking at several locations including a old Wal-Mart building. Before I
jump in the water I would like for any of you to feel free to offer both pro
and con opinions. One thing that concerns me is that our University
Extension office just sent out a letter stating that many of the markets in
our state are in trouble due to lack of farmers.

So any suggestions as to the questions I should ask the agent. Any
rules/regulations that you have at your markets that you like or don't!
Before I begin to seek support for this I want to be prepared to answer as
many questions as possible.

I already have a market for most of my produce, but am always looking for
additional outlets.
I am a hydroponic producer of Lettuce, herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, and
peppers. Plus we are growing several types of mushrooms. And while not
organic we are as close as we can get without growing in the soil. No
pesticides etc.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I know the list Haas been
discussing this over the last few weeks but I had a computer crash that
resulted in much of my system disappearing. If you would rather e-mail me
direct please feel free to do so.

Richard D. Salmons
Saline Valley Enterprises
124 Adams Road
Eldon, MO 65026
Home 573-392-7099
Office/Fax 573-392-105
e-mail rifa AT advertisnet.com

  • Farmers Market's, Richard & Faye, 10/25/2002