market-farming - Re: Sun/Jerusalem Chokes Glycemic Index

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ray Menke <rndmenke AT lockhart.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sun/Jerusalem Chokes Glycemic Index
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:20:19 -0500

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:30:40PM -0500, Bob AT akasha.net wrote:

> This plant is very GOOD for diabetics. For type 2 especially as the glycimic
> index is very low on the artichoke but still has a pleasant sweet nutty
> flavor similar to a water chestnut used in Chinese cooking. A diabetic could
> eat a quart of this and not have a spike in the blood sugar.

Wouldn't this quart still contain 4 times 26 = 104 grams of carbohydrate?
Since the quantity of carbohydrate allowed for diabetic patients ranges
from 100 to 300 Gm. per day (300 Gm. for a 3000 calorie diet
individual), this could be almost the total allotment. Am I missing
something here?

> http://recipe.dieteducation.com/
> DESCRIPTION UNITS 100g 1 cup slices
> Carbohydrate g 17.44 26.16
I see you are the webmaster for this site. Very Nice!
But, how about adding Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Loading (GL)
numbers?
Since Glucose has a GI of 1.0, white bread is .7, raw pears are .38
and blackeyed peas (beans, cowpeas) are .4, what is the GI of the
Jerusalem Artichoke? I did a Google search on glycemic index "jerusalem
artichoke", and got about four pages of hits on the subject, mostly
dealing with INULINS which have a Glycemic Index of zero. (Lots of good
reading information.) I never did see a GL number for Jerusalem
Artichokes, and they are probably not 100% Inulins.

We probably need to know more about diets and foods to understand why
people visit our table at the Farmer's Market. One person takes a
sample of a pear and says it is "sticky-sweet, and very high in sugar",
and the next customer buys several baskets of the same pears because
"they have a low glycemic index, and are good for diabetic people".

The last couple of weeks we have had persimmons. Most customers don't
have any idea why they should buy them. Others have been asking about
them for months. Some kind of Anti-oxidant, I guess. Maybe they buy
them as Halloween decorations for restaurants?

Red Jalapenos are very sweet, and crammed with vitamin C. (3 X more
than green Jalapenos.) It is fun to sample the Jalapeno peppers...and
watch the "look of fear" on the customer's faces when they first take
the sample. (followed by the amazement that they taste like a real
sweet red bell pepper!)

In case you are wondering where I fit into the list, I am a neighbor of
McKemie Homegrown and help them with some of the seven markets they do
here in South Central Texas near Austin.

--
Ray Menke