market-farming - Re: Rose and Fred

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Fred & Rose Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rose and Fred
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:12:56 -0400

Hi, Marie. Thanks for asking those questions.

Yes, we do have electricity and phone. We have a small dorm refrigerator
and a two-burner hot plate. Also a TV and a VCR. This is the first year we
have these "conveniences." We lived without electricity for a while and
that was actually a lot more peaceful. But there's no gettin' around the
convenience of refrigeration.

We plan on moving here, buying a smaller piece of land, say, about 10 acres,
and putting up a shed-roofed building, just enough to keep us out of the
elements and in some degree of civility. The building will initially be
about 12'x24'. Then we'll expand it to 24'x24' by an addition. The shed
will be about 8' at the short end and about 10' at the tall end. This will
allow us to make an expansion by adding on to the tall end.

When Fred retires at 62 in 2.5 years from now, we'll get water and septic.
In the meantime, after we move, we'll establish a water collection system.

Our greenhouse is 10' wide and 48' long. We'll be splitting it up into two
10x24 sections after we move to accommodate different purposes, one being an
actual greenhouse to grow seedlings again for our market garden we will be
establishing.

Our current parcel is on the market and we're hoping to sell it quickly.
That will give us what we need to move on. I guess to some degree we'll
always be living sparsely, but we really don't mind that. Of course, the
older we get, the less appealing it will be, but we hope to change all that
in a few years after Fred's retirement.

We're hoping the cutflower business takes off eventually. I figure with
diligence and attention to marketing and goal setting, we should be able to
have a reliable business in about five years after business commencement.

Thanks for asking.

Rose

  • Rose and Fred, Marie Kamphefner, 10/25/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Rose and Fred, Fred & Rose Lieberman, 10/25/2002