market-farming - squash-pumpkin

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: squash-pumpkin
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 04:40:34 -0400

No pumpkin pie please, make mine sweet potato ; ))

Speaking of squash, a sales tip:

I could never keep enough Patty Pan squash to sell, but customers didn't eat
them! I'd scoop out the squash, set in tea candles and float them in the
water in a beautiful, antique crystal punch bowl. Sold out every time
within 2 hours. This is what caught the eyes of my best customers my first
day at market--my chefs, who became very loyal, very eager buyers.

The display not only added "vertical" height to my display, it also
attracted a different clientele--those who don't cook, yet go to the fm for
"entertainment".

fwiw,

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm