market-farming - RE: Off Topic question - Squash Pumpkin Pie recipe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Off Topic question - Squash Pumpkin Pie recipe
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:12:56 -0600

Here's a great recipe and a great website to boot!!

Barb - on the continental divide
http://globalcircle.net

http://www.eatwell.com/words/recipes/pie.html

Pumpkin or Squash Pie
Its that time again! This is a modification of the No-Fault Pumpkin Pie in
the Moosewood Cookbook. We love it. Weve made it with every type of squash
we own and with the Beauregard (orange) sweet potatoes. Its great every
way. With Butternut its a true pumpkin pie; we actually never use pumpkins
and I have been told that what is in the cans is a winter squash that is
not pumpkin! This is also great without the crust (great for diets) as a
custard, specially nice in individual custard dishes. The molasses gives
great flavor and makes it darker; if you want that bright orange use honey
in its place. Piecrust
For One Pie

* 3 cups cooked pureed squash or sweet potato
* 3 TB honey
* 2 TB molasses
* 1/2 tsp ground cloves or allspice
* 1 1/2 to 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 1/2 to 2 tsp powdered ginger
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 beaten eggs
* 1 1/2 cups milk or soymilk
* 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (recipe follows)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Place squash or sweet potato puree in a medium-sized bowl and add all
other filling ingredients. Beat until smooth.
3. Spread into pie crust and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Turn oven down
to 350 and bake another 40 minutes or until pie is firm in center when
shaken lightly.
4. Cool to room temp before serving. Great with rum or vanilla spiked
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.