market-farming - RE: Off Topic: Newbie Intro -- Rose and Fred

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Fred & Rose Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Off Topic: Newbie Intro -- Rose and Fred
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:43:10 -0400

Hey, Bob. Thanks for the sentiment, but you have me mixed up with Rosie
from the Black Hills. I'm the greenhouse gal, Rose, from upstate New York.
Not that that makes the experience any less problematic.

We have a great deal of rain, wind, snow, hail, sleet, vermin, etc. How the
skin on this greenhouse stayed put is nothing short of miraculous. It has
sustained 55 mph winds.

I remember one evening at 2:30 am when a windstorm hit at 55 mph and Fred
and I got fully dressed and waited for the greenhouse to fall apart. The
flapping was deafening, but the skin remained intact.

Then there was the bear who attacked our garbage can and I was just waiting
for claws to rake through the 6mil poly. Whew! Another close call.
Coyotes abound, but they stay away. But their sounds are wonderful,
hairraising, but wonderful!

But you're still right. Your chickens are livin' better than we are. I'm
still amazed hubby and I haven't succumbed to the West Nile Virus. We've
certainly had our share of mosquitoes. In fact, to show you how completely
ridiculous this lifestyle is, for the entire summer I slept with a headnet!
Now there's a picture! But at least I could sleep with all the buzzing,
confident nothing could get through!

Then there's the rainy season when the mole tunnels under our floor fill up!
Then a day or two later, you see dirt flying up through the cracks as they
begin reconstruction! All this while my cats sit around the construction
zone, wondering when the critter will pop through.

Oh, the stories I could tell...

Rose