market-farming - RE: Pricing beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Pricing beef
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:42:18 -0500

You need to take a look at other producers prices. Our prices are much
lower than most of the small and mid-sized grass-fed operations. We sell
local, 63% at farmer's market, the rest either on farm or mail order.

Your store prices must be a lot cheaper than ours if you think our prices
are high. The markets here charge almost $4.00 a pound for cull bull meat
made into hamburger. There was an article in the St. Louis paper recently
listing some of the grass fed prices in the Midwest. It is no longer on
their site and I didn't save the file.

The customers range from young singles, young mothers, people who entertain
and want quality meat, empty nesters, retired, elderly, and I could have
sold a ton if the USDA would let us take the WIC coupons. I guess I could
feed them grain next year and say I'm selling corn. Argh.

Rick H.