market-farming - Brandiing and Logos , Getting Favorable Press

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Brandiing and Logos , Getting Favorable Press
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:18:16 -0500

> Visibility or "top of mind awareness" is achieved through
advertising
> or other people writing/talking about a product.(snip)
> A farm logo may be important to the farmer emotionally,
> but the more important marketing aspect of a farm is its name
You are so correct Jay. Take for example Farmer Jones of Ohio...I
doubt any chef knows or cares a flip about his logo, if he even has
one. But boy, does he have a national reputation as THE premier
specialty produce grower in the country. I don't know if he has ever
done any advertising either, do you know? But he has gotten plenty of
press. I had a great article written about my greenhouse a year ago,
but did it directly bring me a single sale that I can atrribute to it?
Not immediately. But months later I will meet a chef who will say,
hey, weren't you that lady that was in the paper? In that sense, at
that point, it may have been helpful in getting the business but not
at the intial publication. In your opinion what s the best way for a
farmer to get good press which actually leads to sales? I found it
useful to prepare a "fact sheet" for the reporter, which had lots of
information that we did not cover in the interview. A lot of that
material made it into the article.

Adriana