market-farming - Re: Pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pumpkins
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:14:57 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.net

> I would agree but if I were to discuss my results from Sandea herbicide on
pumpkins I will offend someones organic sense & sensibilities and folks
would want me thrown off the list...Bob.
> Sunny Meadow Farm

Ten Lashes with a wet noodle !

I think this list is for Market Farmers... not Organic Market Farmers
exclusively. That being said:

Weed control is the most critical management practice for growing pumpkins.
I planted 20 acres of Pumpkins and you just don't have time to hand weed
(and spray for pests.) I rented a place far away from our organic fields
just so I could spray chemicals. I found that people don't care if a pumpkin
is organically grown they just want a display for Oct 31.

We use "Command" (1pt per acre) prior to planting then after planting we
used "Poast" (1.5pt per acre) after the plants were up, for grasses (NOT for
broad leaf plants). Also for Squash Bugs and what not use "Pounce" or
"Sevin"