market-farming - Re: Pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pumpkins
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:23:12 -0500

I can't help but share this recipe for pumpkin soup. Those who have more
pumpkins to sell might try this dish. We like the smaller single serving
sizes as it is novel to eat the soup right from the pumpkin.

La Soupe au Potiron
(Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin)

1 7-lb pumpkin (may use individual sized pumpkins)
7 tbsp butter
Salt
1 large yellow onion, peeled, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs, toasted (may substitute croutons)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground sage
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Swiss Cheese
4 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 350F. Cut a lid about 4" in diameter out of top of
pumpkin and set lid aside. Remove and discard seeds and strings. Rub
inside of pumpkin and lid with 1 tbsp softened butter, season with salt and
place in a baking pan.

2) Melt remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and
cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs and cook for 2
minutes, then add nutmeg and sage and season generously with salt and
pepper. Remove from heat, stir in cheese, then spoon mixture into pumpkin.
Pour enough stock into pumpkin to come within 1/2" of the rim. Lay bay
leaves on top, then fit lid onto pumpkin.

3) Bake until pumpkin begins to soften and brown on the outside and the
stock bubbles on the inside, about 1-1/2 hours. Carefully remove from oven
and transfer to a serving platter. With a long-handled spoon, scrape flesh
from bottom and sides of pumpkin and just before serving, stir in heavy
cream.