market-farming - Certification, definition of market farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Certification, definition of market farming
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:51:29 -0500

R: Certification
To distinguish ourselves from other more chemical intensive market
farmers
> Yes, from the discussion here, it seems very clear that direct
marketers
> have not found a need for certification. That is why I am asking why
people
> are wanting to come up with some other kind of certification in lieu
of
> organic.

Re: Defintion of Market Farming
Except in the summer when I sold at the Farmer's Market, more than
ninety percent of what I sell, I sell to large wholesalers, but I
still consider myself a market farmer by virtue of :
1. Size - I have a single 3000 sq ft greenhouse and produce 100-150#
of product a week with just me and one part-time helper.
2. All of my sales are local - in Birmingham and Atlanta
3. I do a lot of the initial marketing directly to the chefs in my
area with my distributor providing the on-going sales support and
distribtion
4. I get paid above the going commodity rates because my customer
values both the superior product and the LOCAL component. It makes
them look good to their chefs who are pressuring them to use local
suppliers if possible.
> For those who do additional marketing, beyond your the above
definition of
> market farming, then it might make sense. (snip)...
> But based on the above definition of market farming, those who sell
their
> products to a wholesaler, are not involved in market farming.

Adriana Gutierrez
Green Cuisine
Birmingham, AL

  • Certification, definition of market farming, gutierrez-lagatta, 10/19/2002