market-farming - Re: Cooperation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cooperation
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:15:12 -0700

Some incredibly touching and soul searching
reflection today from folks here and on SANET.
Finally folks are realizing that we have to agree
together, get past the self, get past the fact
that our local business is fine, get past our
local markets and agree to consider the
commonalities that unite us. THESE are the very
things that led us to doing what we do in the
first place. THESE are the underlying principles
that I have been harping on for three days. IF we
could agree to reflect upon the positives that
unite us we would probably find that these are the
very same values that our customers are seeking.
The hope for the phrase and the trademark that
somehow reflects this was my hope for a rallying
point when I began this days ago. Not the
legalism, the procedural methodologies, the
administrivia, but first identifying the dream and
the values. IF we could but share some of these
values and put a stake in the ground at least that
gives a common point.

Today was the day of the first frost here....an
ending to another season. But today was also a
day of the first birth on our new farm, as we saw
our first baby Boer goat take its first steps...a
day of new beginnings and hope for the future.
I'm hopeful for all of you out there that we can
work together towards the rebirth of responsible
sustainable small farming in the United States and
elsewhere.
Larry Walker
Rainbows End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road