market-farming - Cooperation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Cooperation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:37:33 -0500

You know what, screw the predictable responses.

We ought to all find a common fricking ground. Christ oh mighty. Stop.

I can see the cross section of interest and motivation and commitment among
us. And why oh why, fight in the divisive and accusatory details?

"Everybody wants to rule the world"

Find it . Find the place of cross section for commitment to what we all
know is important to us. Yes, exchange what we know. Find that point of
what edifies... informs..

I don't mean to say we should never challenge eachother's thinking. None of
us would ever grow or improve our own lives without conflict. We just don't
benefit from division.

What is it? Solvency? Knowing your business died with pride? Or knowing
that your business thrived on the tail ride with those who didn't give a
damn about your farm? Let's face it. Some farmers and farm agencies don't
give a damn. Their lives are too entrenched in the current philosophy of
you know who and what. I don't blame them. They are watching their whole
lives go down the drain for lack of capital and labor to retool. It sucks
to watch it.

Frankly, ladies and gentlemen, a lot of good farmers are terrible at doing
business. And corporate loves it. Corporate loves that kind of a sale.

How in the hell do you think I bought my place? An old farmer going under
and getting out while the getting was good. I went to both auctions... the
one for farm equipment and the one for the household. Think it's fun to
watch people cry at an auction for a 100 year old farm? Twice?

We're drowning, many of us. Dealing with bigger producers. A government
that has co-opted our philosophy and name brand... beyond growing and
absolutely central to our lives. Certification beyond the ability and means
of small producers. If we don't stay together, we are screwed.

I look at what you write and you are smart, hard working individuals. Not
looking for the government handout of corporate welfare. Well, welcome to
retail. It's hard work. I'd like to see you successful. If we of the same
pursuit can't find the interest, passion and cross section of what we do,
then who in the hell will find it for us?

Kellogg's? Kraft? McDonald's? Coke? Novartis? Add your own favorite
nemesis to the list.

Quit finding enmity within our own. It's like eating your young.

And if you are an outsider trying to find a means to divide those who have a
philosophy and goal, then go. We don't need your ilk. This is a good goal
and market farming should never go away. Can you imagine life without it if
you live in a community and you can't grow your own? Imagine that friends.
Imagine a world where every damn vegetable, fruit, meat or egg comes from a
factory farm. Would any of us want that? We know too well what that
means... not only about general food production but about the lives of
farmers and the health of families no matter where they live.

I'm not talking to anyone in particular, I'm saying to all of you on this
list.

We all do what we know how to do however small or big... however connected
we are to the political machinery that helps us make a living.

I can't stand the enmity. Argument is good for the mind. I believe that.
It helps us think.

But enough of the personal bashing. It divides us.

I know this. Relationships in business or anywhere else never find
solutions in focusing on differences. We work out differences because we
understand the basis of difference. And the basis of finding a way to bring
a life to each of us. But focus on difference? It takes us away from what
put us together in the first place.

If I found a cross section of knowledge and encouragement from the chemical
growers in my region ( as a far smaller organic wannabe), then why in the
hell are we at each other's throats? All my neighbors - regardless of their
philosophy or lack thereof - wanted was to see this farm survive.

It's their life too, even if they don't know it. But I think, they'd like
to see us prevail... because their lives, their own commitments to rural
life, depend on it.

It's why I moved here in the first damn place.

Del Williams
Clifton IL
delannw AT dlogue.net

  • Cooperation, Del Williams, 10/18/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Cooperation, Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards, 10/19/2002