market-farming - Re: Energy coops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Energy coops
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:05:37 -0400

Del wrote:

What they did was promptly
add another $200 deposit charge to my bill... treating me as though I were a
new member.

Yow! Here, it's only $20 to join and if you're disabled, elderly or low-income, the fee is *waived*!

Several years ago I was looking at solar and wind power here. They told me
alternative energy just doesn't work in Illinois.

These guys came out and evaluated the house for solar -- we have a big oak tree in the back which gives too much shade. If PA would ever pass that law that allows homeowners to sell electricity back to the electric companies, it would be cost-effective (right now, all you can do is zero out your bill for the month and any extra power, the companies get to keep for free -- PA residents actually live in areas where they COULD sell back solar energy back to the electric companies in summer, but guess who doesn't want to pay for it and doesn't want to make it cost-effective), but it isn't now.

PA is going great guns on wind power -- I don't have the space for it, but for those with land with ridges, it's working.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of