market-farming - Jericho lettuce., Alpine strawberries, grashoppers, Whstlestop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Jericho lettuce., Alpine strawberries, grashoppers, Whstlestop
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:02:56 -0500

Re: Lettuce
> Growing good sweet lettuce (Jericho) all summer! In our hot,
southern
> summers! And, growing mesclun all summer under shade.
Allison, do you use the Jericho lettuce in your mesclun mix also?

Re: ALpine Strawberries
Does anybody have experience growing alpine strawberries? I'd like
any information on culture, plant sources, preferred strains, yields,
etc.

Re: Grasshoppers
> So how did you control the grasshoppers this year organically?
My greenhouse got infested with grasshoppers shortly after I planted a
bed of red leafed amaranth. After investigating organic options I
concluded that they were either too slow-acting, or too expensive.
There is a biological product for immediate knockdown of grasshoppers
but it comes in 5-gallon containers for $150+. I would have used
maybe 1/2 a gallon in my greenhouse. So I opted for a non-organic but
low environmental-impact approach. I found a recipe for a home-made
bait from the University of Texas that was made from wheat bran,
molasses, water oil and liquid Sevin.. I put the bait in empty cat
food cans under my benches and it took care of most of the problem. I
now find maybe one a day and the damage is minimal. I figured that
the Sevin was not contaminating the product, since it was not
incontact with it, was not contaminating the soil and the dead grass
hoppers were int the greenhouse and would not poison birds who ate
them. Had my problem been in a field crop I don't know what my
soultion would have been.

Re: Whistlestop Cafe
Actually the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was based on a real restaurant
here in Birmingham. It is till in operation and the food is great!
No hornworms on the menu, though...
>but my favorite recipe draws
> inspiration from the cuisine of the Whistle Stop Cafe, that
fictitious
> Alabama diner made famous by novelist Fanny Flagg.

It's so nice to see the list back to farming.

Adriana

  • Jericho lettuce., Alpine strawberries, grashoppers, Whstlestop, gutierrez-lagatta, 10/15/2002