market-farming - Re: Brucellosis in Bison

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Brucellosis in Bison
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:49:33 +0000

Rick Williams wrote:

Plenty <snipped it save below.>

> Incidentally, it is documented that humans have contracted brucellosis from
> infected wild animals such as elk by contact.

Brucellosis is very very rare. Although there may be
a couple of documented cases of humans becoming
infected through contact with wild animals, the vast
majority of cases occur in farmers working with their
own domesticated herds.

As I understand it, bison are what might be described
as carriers of the brucella bacterium. From what I have
read, they are not affected in the same way that cattle
are (although I may be mistaken on this point).

If wild bison have been infected thanks to domesticated
cattle, maybe the cattle herds near Yellowstone should
be destroyed and not the other way around.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming