market-farming - Re: Off topic: Orion, aurora, and the Pleiades

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Off topic: Orion, aurora, and the Pleiades
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:01:36 -0500

Wow!

I have a telescope... we take it out behind the corncrib and we are
generally enough away from town lights to see what is going on in the sky.

I always look for Orion. Makes me wonder what people 200 years ago saw in
the sky at night.

So interesting about the aurora. I used to see it all the time as a kid in
Michigan.
And in a spectacular night driving between Rochester, NY and Buffalo.
Sometime in the early 90's. But it came to Illinois in 2001. My neighbors
called and said, you have to see this!

It was pretty cool... but not as spectacular as I had seen before. Still,
when do you get to see those reds and greens and yellows in the night sky?
Like zephyrs floating in color through the darkness.

What a night to see. One reason the rural life is more than appealing.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL
delannw AT dlogue.net