market-farming - Re:flame weeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:flame weeders
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:22:28 -0500

I got mine from Red Devil direct....at least I think that is their name. It is
the only manufacturer on the web that sells direct. I use the backpack. It is
not very effective, more like erasing them with a pencil eraser. It is handy
for those beds I plan to grow scissor crops in. Shape the bed, water it for
two weeks and flame before sowing lettuce for mesclun, or onions, or any seed
you would grow out in a bed for transplant. This method of course keeps one
from bringing fresh seed to the surface. It is only a great tool for those
weeds in the first two inches of growth. (my opinion) I wish I had a large
tractor mounted weeder that would do four rows.... I don't have the land to
justify the purchase. I think it is a technique used a lot in Europe as I saw
huge 20 row weeders at a show in London three years ago when I was there
visiting my aunt.

Chris
www.jakesfarm.com
www.carolinaorganicgrowers.com
www.asapconnections.org

  • Re:flame weeders, Chris Sawyer, 09/22/2002